Friday, July 1, 2011

Muzzie & Popsie’s House


View of the Hudson Valley from the Hamilton Fish Bridge
We crossed yet another vast river, the Hudson, and another, the Connecticut, before entering Old Lyme and assuming our “regular site” behind the barn at my parents’ house. I’ve driven over both rivers too many times to count but they are both more awe-inspiring to me having been tuned in to the grandeur of our natural landscapes on this trip. I was even impressed by the field of yellow turnip flowers blooming from my Dad’s Biologic planting. And by the pond I grew up swimming, fishing, and playing in. And even by the huge oak trees that dot the perimeter of their property.
Lily naps in Chris' lap under the awning

My parents have, over many years, created a sanctuary. Their house, yard, and outbuildings were all too easy to take for granted when I was growing up. I said some of this in my winter visit blog but it being spring almost summer now I see how their work has paid off in so many ways.

Muzzie and Popsie know how to host…we were treated to so many tasty meals during our stay. We got to lounge in the grass with Lily and I even got to take two trips down to see Kermit alone. What a special treat this was; Muzzie and Chris watched Lily while I took the hour drive to Bethany. I rode and generally got dirty which was perfect therapy for my weary body and soul. My seat bones ached for a while afterwards but it was worth it!
Lily & Muzzie talk about the grass
Lily laughs histerically at Muzzie and vice versa. They are too funny to watch when they get going. It was pretty special that during our week in Old Lyme we were visited by Nana from down the driveway, 

Lily’s Auntie Mary and cousin Jack (6 months) from New Hampshire, 

Lily’s Auntie Emily and Moose (dog) from Massachusetts, 

and my grandparents Grap and Grandpa from New Hampshire! 

Popsie, Lily and I went tag-sale-ing one Saturday morning. We didn’t find much good except one house with a ton of baby clothes so I scored a couple of good deals there but mostly it was just nice being out with Dad. Muzzie and Popsie are connecting the garage to the house this summer so they had to move several bushes while we were there. Again, it was just nice sitting nearby on a blanket with Lily watching them work while Chris worked on sabbatical stuff.
Lily working on her walking skills
Most mornings we’d see Muzzie shooing the geese off the lawn so they wouldn’t provide poop-meals for Breezy their 8-month-old black lab. Dad would go off to work, come home later and get to work on the garden or another project. Chris and Muzzie took a number of great walks over to Roger’s Lake. When Mary and Emily were with us we all went for a trek: Mom, Mary, Emily, Me, Chris, Lily, Jack, Breezy, and Moose. Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment